Pages


Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chinese Style Egg Waffles (aka Eggette)



Few months ago, I saw this Chinese style egg waffles pan from one of my friend's facebook's wall.  Except for cool, I didn't think of purchase it at all.  Until I went to the mall last weekend, and saw the pan in "real person" at Williams-Sonoma, I was so excited and kept asking Mr. G if he remembers that's what we had in my hometown (Macau).  He said yes, they are pretty good.  I said yes, they are and I SO miss this street food.  I so wanted to buy it.  However, after looking at the price tag, I put it down and told myself not worth it, it's quite too much (about $50.00 usd).  After I got home, I tried to look for it from Amazon and ebay, but NO LUCK!  After 3 day deep consideration, I finally went to the store and purchased it today.

I of course could not wait to get home to try it out.  Luckily, I have all the ingredients at home.  So after having a quick dinner, I immediately tried out my new toy.  I guess the 50 dollars I spent not just for the pan, it's also for all my fond memory I have about my childhood and the place I love.

If you never heard of this famous Chinese (especially in Hong Kong and Macau areas) snack, here is a little introduction of eggette:

An eggette is a kind of spherical pancake or ball waffle popular in the Cantonese-speaking regions of China, including Hong Kong and Macau. The food item is also referred to as an egg puffegg wafflebubble waffle or by its Cantonese name,gai daan jai (鷄蛋仔),[1] and is made from eggs, sugar, flour, and light evaporated milk.[2] They are best served hot, and often eaten plain. They can also be served with fruit and flavors such as strawberry, coconut or chocolate.[2] They are sometimes referred to as "Hong Kong cakes" in Chinatowns across America, especially in New York.


For more information, please go to here.






So I used the recipe on the back of the pan, the ingredients are pretty simple, and you can get everything from the store.  Williams-Sonoma also sell the mix in a box for $10.00 at the store and online, but to be honest with you, I don't think you need to spend that 10 extra dollars to get the mix if you can find everything from the pantry.


Ingredients:
4 large yolks
3/4 cup milk (I used a little bits of buttermilk to substitute the milk for a fluffier texture)
About 1 tbs vanilla extra
6 tbs unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of grated nutmeg
Pinch of salt
6 egg whites, beaten to medium peaks
Vegetable oil for cooking


Direction:


In another mixing bowl, mix the egg yolk, milk, vanilla, melted butter (put in a microwave for 25 sec) and sugar and whisk until they combined.
In a third mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
Whisk the wet ingredient into the dry ingredient until well combined and no lumps remain
Add 1/3 of the beaten egg whites t the batter and stir until lightened.
Gently fold in the remaining whites in 2 additions.
The batter is well combined and ready to pour on the heated pan.
Preheat both sides of the egg waffle pan on separate burners over
medium heat until hot.




Grease both sides with vegetable oil to prevent sticking.


Pour 3/4 cup batter on the hot and greased pan.


Cooked on each side for about 1.5 mins over med. heat



One batch makes about 6 eggettes.


They are good just as is.  Or you could add fresh fruits, powder sugar and jam.
(Source:  Serving suggestion from Williams-Sonoma)

Next time, I will do different flavors (like matcha green tea, chocolate or seaweed, stay tuned.)




0 comments:

Post a Comment