Pages


Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I need a break and a whoopie pie



I have no idea since when whoopie pies have become a trend.  You see them everywhere now, even at Starbucks!  They are a very easy to make little treat at home.  They are also good for party, or put them in a cute box; they would become a very sweet and cute favor for your guests to take home.


I found this chocolate whoopie pie's recipe from Food.com.  They came out taste good and moist, but they are very messy and sticky to roll though.  Since this is my very first time of making whoopie pies, I am sure I could develop a better recipe in future.

Make about 20 pies
Prepare Time: 20 mins
Bake Time: Approximately 15 mins

Whoopie Pie

  1. Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly coat cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Whoopie Pies: In a mixing bowl, beat sugar and oil until crumbly. Add eggs and beat well. In separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
  3. Gradually beat flour mixture into sugar mixture. Add milk and mix together well.
  4. With lightly lightly floured hands, roll dough into 1 1/2" balls. Place balls 2" apart onto cookie sheets lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Flatten balls slightly with bottom of lightly greased flat-bottom glass.
  5. Bake at 425F for 5-6 minutes or until tops are cracked. Cool for 3 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
I didn't make the filling.  I have a whipped cream in my fridge, so I just pipe my pies with the whipped cream.  But below is the filling recipe I found on Food.com.  If you are on the rush, whipped cream is a good alternative.  If you have ice cream at home, you could even make it like a ice cream sandwiches. 

Filling

4 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons shortening, softened to room temp Filling: In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in milk and extract until fluffy.
3 -3 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (OR mint extract is good)

  1. Filling: In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in milk and extract until fluffy.
  2. Pipe filling using pastry bag (or spread w/ knife) on to flat bottom of cooled whoopie pie and top with another whoopie pie to make a sandwich.


0 comments:

Post a Comment