Pages


Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Decorating your lonely cake stand

I made some fake cupcakes a year ago and I have shared my "secret recipe" of these non baked goodies with everyone last year.  If you missed it, click here to see our "recipe".

I mentioned that I have registered to enter a fondant decorative cupcakes contest at the OC Fair this year last week.  One of the requirements for submitting my creation is to make "fake cupcakes".  So now I am going to share with you how I twisked my "old recipe", which I shared with everyone last year and make the fake cupcakes ever more realistic.

What you need:

Tooth picks
Styroform balls
Brushes
Acrylic paints
Plaster of Paris
Vinyl Spackling
Cupcake Liners
Cupcake pan

1)  For the base of the cupcake, please refer to here.  I still suggest to use Plaster of Paris for the base becuase the weight could secure your top portion better.  Line the cupcake liners in a cupcake pan and pour your "batter" (Plaster of Paris) inside the liner.  After pouring the Plaster of Paris in the cupcake liners, make sure to put couple tooth pick in the middle of the "batter" because they will help to "connect" the top cake portion to the base (see Step 3).



2)  Get some styrofoam balls, cut them in half (I used my bread knife to cute them, and it worked perfect.)  Brush some acrylic paints (I used brown here for my "chocolate cupcakes") to make cover the white color of the styrofoam balls. (

3)  After the "batter" and the cake portion are totally dry out (the "batter" take longer time to dry, probably half of the day, the cake portion should be dry out in 3-4 hours max). Now we could put the base and the cake portion together.  The tooth picks we inserted to the "batter" on Step 1, will hold these two portions perfectly together. 



4)  Get a small jar of Vinyl Spackling from your local home improvement stores (such as ACE, Home Depot, or Lowe's).  If you don't want to add any color inside, you could use it alone as a basic white "butter cream" frosting.  If you want color for your frosting, add few drops of acrylic paint of your choice and mix well.


5)  To avoid messiness, I highly recommended people to use disposable cups and spoons to mix the color in the "frosting".


6) Put your "butter cream frosting" in a piping bag and pipe on top of the cupcake, let's dry for few hours. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment